Monday, May 14, 2012

Happy Mothers and Others Day

A post from a friends blog:

I’m not sure what my friends Mike and Aaron do on this special day. My two gay friends, parents of Zach, are hopefully celebrating. I find it ironic that Mother’s Day falls only days after a North Carolina constitutional amendment banning gay marriage. The great thing about being a parent is that it is document and legislatively agnostic.

I am not savvy in the known or simply understood gay protocol, so forgive me. I know this...over the years through my profession, as a citizen of a diverse community, as a patron and participant in the arts, and as a student of life, I have been fortunate enough to develop dear relationships with humans of extraordinary differences in their color, their religious practices, their ideologies, their ethnicity, and yes, their preferences in their life partners. My dear gay friends value my presence and love me in all of my white, middle-aged, heterosexuality. Perhaps because they are so fully aware that love and commitment are not concepts limited to a gender formula. These people, most of them in very long-term, committed relationships, represent some of the best of humanity. I am honored, blessed, grateful, and thrilled to know and love you all. I am a better man because you are in my life.
> Read All <