Monday, August 27, 2012

Christianity and Polytheism - An Agnostic's Confusion

 A Little Background

I'm an agnostic.  I don't know if there is a God.

I was raised in the Baptist church till about the age of 9.  Attended Sunday school and church approximately 3 Sundays out of every month.  Received the full childhood indoctrination.  My family moved to the Presbyterian church around the age of 10.  Continued to attend church regularly till the age of 15.  During my teenage years I read the bible from cover to cover twice (ok - I'll confess.  I skipped Numbers and Judges the second time through.)  In my college years I took 4 semesters of bible studies - 2 on old testament, 2 on new testament.

While I do not "believe", I think I have a basic understanding of Christian doctrine and dogma.

 An Agnostic's Confusion

This leads to my confusion and being perplexed.

I truly don't understand how the Christian right can endorse and accept a polytheist for president.

Based on my basic understanding of most non-Mormon Christian doctrine and dogma, polytheism is direct the opposite of one of the basic tenants of Christianity which I believe is monotheism.

I'm basing this on my understanding that Mormonism is polytheistic.  I'll admit my understanding of Mormonism is limited.  I believe Mormons prefer the term "henotheism".  Basically the definition of henotheism is:  the belief and worship of a single god while accepting the existence or possible existence of other deities that may also be worshipped.  I believe Mormons also believe that the Christian God has a father and mother, and his father had a father and mother and so on.

There are many sources available to study the Mormon belief system.  I will not attempt to justify the statement "Mormonism is polytheistic" in this post.  I encourage you to do your own research.

Let me be clear, as far as I am concerned polytheists are just as entitled to hold office as gays, lesbians, atheists, agnostics, Jews, Christians, Catholics, monotheists, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhist.   

I hope someone can tell me I can see this open-mindedness on the part of the Christian conservatives to accept a belief system that is antithetical to their core beliefs as encouraging.  I am further hopeful this acceptance gives hope for our nation’s first agnostic, Hindu, atheist, gay, Muslim, and Buddhist presidents.

 Paths to Understanding - Remove My Confusion

The first way you could remove my confusion is to convince me that "Mormonism is not polytheistic".  I would be happy to admit I'm wrong.

The second way you could remove my confusion is to demonstrate how a polytheist can be acceptable to a Christian conservative.

 Response Parameters and Understandings

I get that the Christian right does not like liberals, Democrats and Obama.  You don't need to tell me how bad and evil liberals are and what a devil Obama is.  I get that.  What I don't understand is how the Christian right can accept a polytheist when they do not accept so many others like - Christian liberals, Christian homosexuals, Christian Democrats, Pro-choice Christians.  (You get the point, there are a lot of unacceptables.  Or, as I have been called heathens.)

I also recognize the U.S. does not have a Constitutional requirement for a religious test to hold public office.  I'm not saying that we should.  However, based on what one hears from conservative and evangelical Christians there are basic docternal beliefs that are necessary to hold office. (Those regularly precluded include:  gays, lesbians, atheists, agnostics, liberals, Muslims.)  

Daily we are bombard by the Christian right proclaiming the righteousness of their causes and direction for our nation.  Media and pulpits are filled with their hatred and disdain for anything that does not meet their standards of belief and behavior.  Daily I am bombarded with "friends" demonstrating their deep seated Christian beliefs on Facebook and often their hatred for those that do not adhere to their beliefs.  I get all of that.  (Well not really, but that's another post.)

What I don't get is how can Christian conservatives find a polytheist acceptable as an office holder?

It seems hypocritical.  Why is it not?

Confusing.  Perplexing.